Benefits without getting too high
As the world becomes more accepting of cannabis, a new trend is emerging among users seeking the plant’s benefits without the risk of getting too high: microdosing THC.
With hemp-derived THC’s becoming more widely available and a growing number of states legalizing marijuana, microdosing has become a popular way to explore the potential of cannabis, from enhancing creativity to reducing anxiety and depression.
In this article, we’ll delve into the world of microdosing and discover the unique ways in which it can improve our well-being. I’ll also share advice on how to work out your ideal microdose (from personal experience) and discuss some of the best ways to microdose THC.
What is microdosing?
Microdosing is a technique of taking small amounts of a substance to achieve the desired effects without experiencing the side effects that come with higher doses.
The concept of microdosing has been applied to various substances, including psychedelics, caffeine, cannabis, and CBD.
The idea behind microdosing THC is that it allows users to enjoy the benefits of THC without getting high or developing a tolerance to it. For a small number of people, microdosing weed is the only way to enjoy the therapeutic benefits of THC without suffering from other adverse side effects, such as anxiety and/or paranoia, which can be triggered at higher doses.
If you feel high, you’re doing it wrong. It’s normal to feel a slight buzz when microdosing, but the dose should be small enough so as not to impede cognitive function or productivity.
Benefits of microdosing THC
Microdosing (in general) has several benefits, including:
- Enhanced creativity – microdosing can stimulate creativity by enhancing the brain’s ability to make new connections and think in novel ways.
- Improved mood – microdosing can boost mood and reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- Increased productivity – microdosing can improve focus and concentration, leading to increased productivity.
- Better sleep – microdosing can help people fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer, leading to a more restful night’s sleep.
- Reduced tolerance – microdosing can help reduce the tolerance that develops with regular use of a substance, leading to a more sustainable and enjoyable experience.
Microdosing THC for pain
Perhaps one of the most exciting areas of research at the moment is surrounding microdosing THC for pain.
It was recently shown that microdosing THC can provide pain relief by reducing inflammation and activating the endocannabinoid system by binding to receptors in the brain and nervous system. These receptors help regulate pain perception, providing relief for conditions such as chronic pain, arthritis, and migraines.
A 2020 study found that inhaling just 1 mg of THC significantly reduced pain intensity and improved quality of life in patients with chronic pain, against a placebo trial.
Microdosing THC for ADHD
Microdosing THC also holds promise in managing symptoms of ADHD as it has been shown that THC may help improve focus and concentration, reduce hyperactivity and impulsivity, and enhance working memory.
Evidence from brain imaging studies has shown that levels of dopamine are lower in patients with ADHD. Further to this, a 2016 study showed that acute administration of THC caused an increase in dopamine release.
This information has led many people to believe that microdosing THC could offer significant symptom relief for people diagnosed with ADHD.
Microdosing THC for anxiety
Anxiety is one of the most common reasons people turn to THC and microdosing cannabis can provide anxiety relief without the psychoactive effects associated with higher doses.
Low doses of THC have been shown to reduce anxiety and stress levels by binding to receptors in the brain that regulate mood and emotions. There is also a mounting body of research that supports the use of microdosing cannabis for PTSD.
However, you should be aware that THC may increase anxiety at higher doses.
Microdosing THC for depression
Microdosing THC can improve mood and reduce symptoms of depression by activating the endocannabinoid system, which regulates mood, appetite, and sleep.
THC can enhance the production of neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine, which play a crucial role in regulating mood.
A 2018 study found that cannabis significantly reduced perceived symptoms of depression. Low THC (and high CBD) cannabis seemed to work best out of all the preparations tested. However, you should know that cannabis use (in general) did also appear to exacerbate depression over time.
Microdosing THC to sleep
Microdosing THC can improve sleep quality and reduce the time it takes to fall asleep. This is because THC has sedative effects that can help people fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer.
However, the improvements in sleep quality were often linked to a reduction in pain and any improvements you experience may be short-lived as THC has also been shown to impair sleep on a longer term basis.
People are even microdosing THC for dogs
Microdosing THC has also been studied as a potential treatment for dogs with conditions such as arthritis, anxiety, and seizures.
Like humans, dogs have an endocannabinoid system (ECS) that regulates various bodily functions, including appetite, sleep, pain, and immune system response. This is why cannabinoids can affect dogs in many of the same ways they affect humans.
However, it’s essential to note that dogs have a higher number of cannabinoid receptors than humans, making them more sensitive to cannabinoids, especially THC. For this reason, THC can be toxic to dogs at high doses and should be used with caution.
If you’re considering using cannabinoids for your dog, I recommend that you consult with a veterinarian who has experience with cannabis use in pets. They will be able to help you determine the appropriate dosage and ensure that the product you’re using is safe and effective for your furry friend.
What are the best ways to microdose THC?
There are several ways you can microdose THC, including:
- Edibles – Edibles are a popular option for microdosing THC as they allow for precise dosing and are discreet. Edibles come in various forms, including gummies, chocolates, and mints.
- Tinctures – Tinctures are a liquid form of cannabis that is taken sublingually (under the tongue). Tinctures are easy to use and allow for precise dosing.
- Vaping – Vaping is a popular option for microdosing THC as it allows for the fastest onset of effects. However, vaping can be harsh on the lungs and should be used with caution.
How to find your ideal microdose dose
If you’re keen to start microdosing, then the first thing you need to do is work out what your ideal dose is because when it comes to cannabinoids, one-size does not fit all. A 5 mg dose of THC sounds very small but, while it may work for someone you know, it might feel too strong for you.
Work out your ideal dose by following these simple steps:
- Begin by taking an inner inventory. Rate your breathing, physical comfort, mood, and any symptoms you want to target. Make a note of these ratings so you can compare them later.
- Use a tincture or oil, or split a microdose edible, and take one milligram of THC.
- Wait 90 minutes, then reassess your inner inventory.
- Repeat this process twice a day for three days to acclimate your body to the THC.
- If there’s no improvement, increase the dose by one milligram on the fourth day.
- Add one milligram every three days until you reach your minimal effective dose. Typically, this is between three and five milligrams.
- Keep track of your progress and adjust your dosage as necessary.
- If you experience negative side effects (or feel high), decrease the dose by one milligram.
If you feel high after you take your microdose, start over and reduce your dose for next time.
Micro doses for massive results
As you can see, microdosing THC offers a promising and exciting alternative to traditional cannabis consumption methods. It allows users to experience the unique benefits of cannabis while avoiding unwanted side effects.
Whether through edibles, tinctures, or vaping, microdosing offers a precise and controlled method for enjoying the benefits of THC.
As with any substance, it’s essential to start with a low dose and gradually increase until the desired effects are achieved. By embracing the practice of microdosing, cannabis enthusiasts all over the world are enjoying a safe, effective, and enjoyable cannabis experience. Why not join them?